cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2800, which network module ?

alain_richard
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to be able to use a port of the network module like a port on the router itself. Specifically, I need to :

use the port as a real router port (issue something like "interface fastethernet0/5 no switchport") subneting the interface to access to each VLAN presented on this port.

As far as I have understood, this is not possible with a HWIC-4ES module as it doesn't enable to use the port as router ports.

It seams I can make router ports from a NM-16ESW module, but I don't know if I can then subinterface it in order to get my VLANs. I know it is possible using SVI, but then I am restricted to 32 VLANs, too restrictive for me.

The NME-16ES-1G service module seams to be less restrictive. Is it the solution for me ? Do the base IP IOS is sufficient for what I need (on the routeur I will run an IOS Advanced IP Services) ?

Regards,

Alain

1 Reply 1

nethelper
Level 3
Level 3

Bonsoir,

unfortunately, the routed ports on the EtherSwitch module do not support subinterfaces.

The following modules all support 1024 VLANs, so that would be a good option:

NME-16ES-1G-P

NME-X-23ES-1G-P

NME-XD-48ES-2S-P

NME-XD-24ES-1S-P

Saluts,

Nethelper

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco