Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 2800, which network module ?

I would like to be able to use a port of the network module like a port on the router itself. Specifically, I need to :

use the port as a real router port (issue something like "interface fastethernet0/5 no switchport") subneting the interface to access to each VLAN presented on this port.

As far as I have understood, this is not possible with a HWIC-4ES module as it doesn't enable to use the port as router ports.

It seams I can make router ports from a NM-16ESW module, but I don't know if I can then subinterface it in order to get my VLANs. I know it is possible using SVI, but then I am restricted to 32 VLANs, too restrictive for me.

The NME-16ES-1G service module seams to be less restrictive. Is it the solution for me ? Do the base IP IOS is sufficient for what I need (on the routeur I will run an IOS Advanced IP Services) ?

Regards,

Alain

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Cisco 2800, which network module ?

Bonsoir,

unfortunately, the routed ports on the EtherSwitch module do not support subinterfaces.

The following modules all support 1024 VLANs, so that would be a good option:

NME-16ES-1G-P

NME-X-23ES-1G-P

NME-XD-48ES-2S-P

NME-XD-24ES-1S-P

Saluts,

Nethelper

Views
Helpful
Replies