cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2811 rom monitor mode

farahs123456
Level 1
Level 1

My 2811 every so often after a power cycle just sits there with the SYS PWR LED flashing. A console shows the rommon> prompt. So it appears to be sitting in the rom monitor mode rather than booting up. If I power cycle again then it boots up fine. I am not quite sure why this happens at times. My only guess is that perhaps if I have a console cable connected to a PC that during the power cycle the console port somehow gets a break from the PCs serial port that puts it in rom monitor mode.

Any ideas as to why this may be happening?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Connecting a console cable would not be causing such issues.

I think its mainly because the router is not able to read the IOS from the flash and returning to rommon

Can you format the flash and upload a fresh IOS again and check?

Narayan

Brian Meade
Level 7
Level 7

This is most likely cause by a config-register problem. Try entering this command:

Router(config)#config-register 0x2102

This will set the config-register back to the default 0x2102. This config-register will boot the first image file in flash after checking for boot commands in your startup-config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco