Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2851 not switching back to mains power using RPS 675

layer3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Netpro's,

I have a 2851-AC unit that is using an RPS 675 to provide redundant DC power supply. Before being deployed I decided to test the failover mechanism of the RPS 675.

After connecting the devices as required I unplugged the AC power to the 2851, and the RPS device assumed power for the 2851 as expected. I confirmed this by entering the 'show environment' command on the 2851 and could see the 'RPS is in use'.

However, when I restore mains power to the 2851, it still used power from the RPS. I waited 15 minutes after restoring power to the 2851 and the command 'show environment' still reports that the 'RPS is still in use'.

Only when I shut down the RPS does the 2851 resume power.

Is there additional configuration I have to enter on the 2851 to assume back the role as a primary source of power from the RPS? Or is the scenario I described normal operation?

Thanks in advanced,

Mario.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

It's been a while since I played with these but I seem to remember that being "normal". (The docs say that it "might" restart, and to plan accordingly). To get seamless recovery you need the RPS 2300.

HTH

Andrew.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The process isn't automatic - you need to press the Standby/Active button on the RPS so that the switch again uses the internal power supply.

HTH

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info.

I found that when I press the Standby/Active button on the RPS the 2851 does start using it's internal power supply, but it reboots when it switches to it. It is not 'hitless' when switching from RPS to internal power. As opposed to switching from internal to RPS power.

Can you confirm this is normal?

Thanks,

Mario.

Hi,

It's been a while since I played with these but I seem to remember that being "normal". (The docs say that it "might" restart, and to plan accordingly). To get seamless recovery you need the RPS 2300.

HTH

Andrew.

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated...

Regards,

Mario.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card