Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3600 cannot boot into ROMMON

an_kafazov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just bought an used cisco 3600 router and I am trying to configure it but I encountered the following problem. The router boots up and stops responding. The following lines keep coming out:

*Feb 28 17:28:23.426 cst: %IP_SNMP-3-SOCKET: can't open UDP socket

*Feb 28 17:28:23.426 cst: Unable to open socket on port 161

however no input from the terminal is accepted. I read what cisco have to say to the problem and I decided that this hang is due to wrong configuration so I want to drop into ROMMON mode and reconfigure it. The problem is that I cannot do this. I tried the break key and all break combinations listed at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

even logged with 1200 but it won't boot in ROMMON. Does anybody have an idea what is the problem here and what could be done about it. Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Angel Kafazov

10 Replies 10

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Try a different terminal program. If you're using the stock version of HyperTerm, try CRT or SecureCRT from VanDyke.com, TerraTerm, or even the "Pro" version of Hyperterm.

You might also check to see that you are using the correct 'Terminal Emulation" setting on your term program. Try a "regular" VT52 or VT100 setting.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the advice. I did try several terminal programs including the ones you recommended but it still does not drop into rommon mode. I also tried different emulation setting, VT52, VT100, ANSI, ... but it didn't work either. I still have no idea what might be causing this.

Regards,

Angel Kafazov

Angel,

A router by default boots its IOS if there is a valid IOS in the router. Why the router is not responding after booting is a different question. Mean while are you able to use Ctrl + Break key or Break key to break into rommon with in the first 60 seconds of powering on the router ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

groupcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Angel,

Also try shifting to the auxiliary port and check if you get any output in your terminal. Your console port might have been damaged.

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

I have considered that you have done all the things mentioned on the link you have given.Try following this at your own risk if you are not familier with the cisco PCBs.

(1)Open the router.You have not mentioned the product number.

(2)Hunt for the flash.

(3)Remove it.

(4)Start the router

Since this process will not have flash to boot,it will automatically come to the ROMMON mode.Also try to load the IOS from the TFTP server without flash(IF you know), to check the router is working.

Then change the config-register to 0x2102, which is default for all the routers.

All done then install the flash back.If the IOS is OK, then the router will boot, or at least will boot to ROMMON.

Regards

JD

Hi,

The router is cisco 3600.

I did get into ROMMON mode after removing the flash chip. But still, no input from the keyboard is accepted, no matter the terminal emulation or the software. Therefore, I am not able to change the register or do any configuration. All this makes me think the console port is not working, even though I see the boot log.

Do you guys also think this is the problem or something else?

Thanks for the help.

A. Kafazov

Hi

Since you are getting the output on HyperTerm, the console port should be working.Anyway, you should be able to do someting in rommon mode.

Pls try changing the console cable.See that its working with other router.

Also try changing the computer,if it helps.

Regards

JD

Note:-Dont forget to rate the replies which you liked the most.

Hi,

well, you might be right, since I made the cable myself and I have no experience. I followed the instructions on this page:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/600pinout.html

I have no other one to test with, neither do I have another router. I will try to get original cisco cable an check if it works with it.

Thanks for your posts guys.

an_kafazov
Level 1
Level 1

It turns out, the router works fine, but the cable that I made caused the problem. I tried with another cable that has been tested and I could input from keyboard, log into rommon and change the password.

Hi

Congrats, happy new year

Regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card