Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch compatibility

JudAster2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We plan to replace an unmanaged DLINK switch by a Cisco second hand unit (we don't have budget right now). We have one 3560 and two 2960 units. I just wanted to know if we can add to our network one 2950 unit easily.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

My understanding about unmanaged switch is that htye will be used only for connectivity purpose and no other features can be enabled. From that point, you can very well replace DLINK with 2960. Apart from basic connectivity, you also have otehr features available.

Regards,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all,

We plan to replace an unmanaged DLINK switch by a Cisco second hand unit (we don't have budget right now). We have one 3560 and two 2960 units. I just wanted to know if we can add to our network one 2950 unit easily.

Thanks

Hi,

As per the good explanation from Nagendra,Unmanaged switches can be replaced with managed one that is  normal L2 switch 2950 in your case without any problem.

Check out the below link for insatllation and configuration of 2950 switches :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_9_ea1/configuration/guide/swvlan.html

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

My understanding about unmanaged switch is that htye will be used only for connectivity purpose and no other features can be enabled. From that point, you can very well replace DLINK with 2960. Apart from basic connectivity, you also have otehr features available.

Regards,

Nagendra

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all,

Thanks

Hi,

As per the good explanation from Nagendra,Unmanaged switches can be replaced with managed one that is  normal L2 switch 2950 in your case without any problem.

Check out the below link for insatllation and configuration of 2950 switches :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_9_ea1/configuration/guide/swvlan.html

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco