Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch Stack

wanhwai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a pair of Cisco Catalyst 3750. I connect this two switches using stack cable.Can the two stackwise ports to be configured as trunk?

regards

Wan Hwai

7 Replies 7

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

When you stack 3750s they become one virtual switch. There is no need to configure a trunk between the switches, all VLANs will be available to all ports.

Cisco StackWise Technology offers Stackable Resiliency

Cisco StackWise technology is a stacking architecture optimized for Gigabit Ethernet. This technology is designed to respond to additions, deletions, and redeployment while maintaining constant performance. Cisco StackWise technology unites up to nine individual switches into a single logical unit, using special stack-interconnect cables and stacking software. The individual switches can be any combination of Cisco Catalyst 3750 and Cisco Catalyst 3750-E Series Switches. The stack behaves as a single switching unit that is managed by a master switch, elected from one of the member switches. The master switch automatically creates and updates all the switching and optional routing tables. A working stack can accept new members or delete old ones without service interruption.

Please rate helpful posts.

hi dgahm,

Can this stackwise port replace fiber port or Ethernet port. Which mean i do not want to see 2 switches as one virtual switch.

regards,

Wan Hwai

Wan,

If you want to keep the switches separate you will not use the stackwise ports. In that case you would use copper or fiber ports between the switches configured as trunks.

Why do you want to keep the switches separate?

Dave

Hi dgahm,

I got short of ports. So i am thinking of whether can use stackwise port to replace normal copper or fiber port.

Besides, the throughput is higher.

Steven Hoo

Steven,

The stackwise ports can not be used as ethernet ports.

Dave

Hello Steven, if you have an shortage of ports on the switch you should be able to consolidate the two switches into one with the stackwise cable and thus freeing up the ports you are using today as a trunk/channel between them.

The stack ports aren't Ethernet ports, it's more of an extended backplane making your ports to be addressed with 1/0/1-48 and 2/0/1-48 instead..

Hope this was in some way enlightening.

Regards

Frederic

or he can add another 3750 to his stack and have another bunch of ports available to him.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card