cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switches with Non Cisco Switches

Hina Jabeen
Level 1
Level 1

I have 8 Cisco switches in one VTP domain with 4503 as VTP server. I want to connect D-Link non managed switch to one of the access port of 4503. Is this suitable or recommended in live environment. One thing more multiple desktops and one cisco gateway are going to connect with this D-Link Switch.

4 Replies 4

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) is a Cisco proprietary protocol, thus VTP won't be an issue here.

This solution will work, but you must be informed that all your devices will share the port bandwidth and all the devices are affected by the status of the port and the cable connecting them to the D-Link switch, i won't recommend going through this solution unless you have a lack in switch ports.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohammad

Thanks. Actually the D-Link switch and devices attached to it are for lab purpose and we want to terminate it live for remote access.

2nd thing will you please give me any document showing that cisco does not recommend the use of non cisco switches in cisco environment ?

Hi,

I can't get such document, practical speaking there is no problem in doing so, the main reason behind recommending not to do this, is as i said, plus the unmanaged D-Link won't have features like the Cisco switch, STP, VTP, lack of throughput and other stability and scalability issues.

But any way in your case, connecting some lab devices in this manner won't be an issue.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you for your support ...

Regards

Hina

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card