Views
Helpful
Replies

clock time reference

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Is it reliable to use network switch or router as time source for other systems/applications in the network?

if not, what is the other possible options.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Define "reliable".

I've used Cisco devices as both NTP clients and NTP sources.

You could use a server or servers for NTP.

Do you also need SNTP or Windows time services?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is it reliable to use network switch or router as time source for other systems/applications in the network?

This is the most "loaded" question I've ever encountered. 

The answer to that question will depend entirely on how you plan to deploy NTP/SNTP.

In our network, all of your access switches synchronize witha distro for NTP.  Distro synch with the core and core goes to a dedicated NTP source/server.  Typical tree-and-branch.  We want to keep "local" traffic local so all the clients (computers, laptops, printers, site's clock controller) synch to the default gateway of their respective IP addresses.  The default gateway are the site's distribution switch.

We don't/never use Microsoft's "version" of NTP.

The traffic for SNTP/NTP is "cheap".  Even if implemented like a dog's-breakfast, it is still relatively "cheap", i.  e.  wouldn't overwhelm a low-speed WAN link.  

So to make a long story short, if your LAN switches synch to a trustworthy NTP/SNTP source, it's "reliable". 

Thanks.

If we use the Distribution to sync with Core for time, where will the core sync its time correction with.

Can the core switch itself be used as the master for time source to other servers, edge switches in the network?

Is it necessary for the Core to sync itself to dedicated source like an internet based clock?

where will the core sync its time correction with.

You have two options:

1.  You can get an appliance, i.  e.  a switch, router or firewall, to synchronize to a known NTP source over the internet; or

2.  Get a dedicated NTP server.

NOTE:  When I mean DEDICATED NTP server, I don't mean a box that needs to go to the internet to synchronize NTP.  When I mean dedicated NTP server I mean an independent NTP server which has a GPS antenna and synchronizes NTP with the GPS satellite.

usasigcis
Level 1
Level 1

Use a reliable source regardless it's type

Maybe multiple sources with anycast

-Sinan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card