cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Combining two networks into one

rstorey4494
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if this is the right forum but we will try.

I have two separate closed networks, both with an ip range of 192.168.1.xxx, with a large number of devices in each net so that I cannot combine them into one. We shall call them NetA and NetB.

I have a Point 2 point connect to NetA using a pair of Cisco 1841 routers. For each router, I have Slot 0 populated with a WAN 10/100 card to support the P2P. On my end of the p2p, i have used both FE0 and FE1 to provide to access lines, with FE0 being subnet .2.xxx and fe1 being .3.xxx. This has been working just fine for us for over a year.

I now have NetB access via a dedicated fiber. Have the fiber running into a switch, and then we have a laptop on the switch that lets us administer the network and devices.

What I want to do now is to somehow bring these two networks together into one router, and then be able to translate NetB to a different subnet(say.7.xxx for example). My ultimate goal is to be able to use one workstation (with one nic) to support both nets. So, if at my workstation I type 192.168.1.100,I get NetA. If I type 192.168.7.100, I get NetB

So, I'm looking for ideas as to the most efficient way to service both of these networks from one workstation. If I have two have two nics with different IP addresses, then so be it. However, if I can bring the p2p into a different style router that can also have the fiber connection without using a fiber converter to take it to copper, then even better.

Any and all suggestions welcome. And as I said, I cannot change the IP ranges on either subnet due to vendor hard coding and the number of devices being used.

Thanks

Bob

3 Replies 3

rais
Level 7
Level 7

You should be able to NAT one of the networks on the router interface. Use the 'network' option for NAT to translate the whole /24 with one statement.

Thanks.

I have been unable to verify if the 1841 will support 2 HWIC cards at once. I know that it has two slots, but, can it handle 2 HWICs for input at once?

The following page states that both slots on the Cisco 1841 router are HWIC slots. If you scroll further down you will find a list of compatible HWICS in table 6.

Here's the URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016a59b.html

Regards,

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card