Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring ISP failover ASA 5505

daniel2907
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to configure ISP failover on my ASA, here is the commands I have used so far

ASA(config)# sla monitor 10

ASA(config-sla-monitor)# type echo protocol ipicmpEcho 8.8.8.8 interface outside

ASA(config-sla-monitor)# num-packets 3

ASA(config-sla-monitor)# timeout 1000

ASA(config)# sla monitor scheldule 10 life forever start-time now

ASA(config)# route outside 0.0 87.82.x.x

ASA(config)# route backup 0.0 82.109.x.x

ASA(config)# track 1 rtr 10 reachability

ASA(config)# Nat (inside,outside) source static any any destination static NETWORK_OBJ_172.16.1.0_24 no-proxy-arp route-lookup

ASA(config)# Nat (inside,backup) source static any any destination static NETWORK_OBJ_172.16.1.0_24 no-proxy-arp route-lookup

After inputting these commands I can ping from my laptop to 8.8.8.8 with 100% success rate from both main ISP and backup ISP but cannot access internet, why is this? I am assuming this is NAT related? If so what changes need to be made (static)?

(P.S I am applying these commands in a working enviroment)

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

daniel2907
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry I meant I can ping from the firewall to 8.8.8.8 from both my main ISP and my backup not from my laptop***

Two things have to be setup:

1) the backup route should be configured with a higher AD:

ASA(config)# route backup 0 0 82.109.x.x 200

Was the 0.0 a typo? If not the command was not acceppted.

2) your NAT statement is also syntactically incorrect. And you probably need a dynamic NAT to both providers.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Hi Karsten,

1) Sorry I forgot to add that in;

ASA(config)# route outside 82.109.x.x 1

ASA(config)# route backup 82.109.x.x 254

2) It would not suprise me as I am new to programming cisco devices/teaching myself however, it has been running on that NAT statment for a few months now, what error do you see?

I thought as much, I will try and configure a dynamic NAT as I have not done this before and see if that solves the problem. What procedure shall i follow (create network object, create NAT rules etc)?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card