cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring speed between serial connections.

gsheppar1414
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have two cisco 2500 routers and am connecting them back to back with a DTE-DCE cable. Can someone explain how I can configure the speed of this line? I set my clock rate to 64000 so does that mean the line speed is 64kbits?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeah your are right sheppar. The second link which was posted has pretty good info. Do look into it.

HTH

Hoogen

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

yes. did you set it on the DCE side?

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

What type/module of serial interface?

Use the bandwidth interface config command for the "speed" of this line.

Clock rate is for synchronization:

See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca658.html#wp1001309

and Bandwith

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800ca4bb.html

The Bandwidth command has no relevance on the speed of the link. It is only helpful during route metric calculations :)

This is what your link says

bandwidth

To communicate the bandwidth value of an interface to the higher-level protocols, use the bandwidth interface configuration command.

Mark the words communicate the bandwidth value of an interface to higher level protocols.

clock rate

Use the clock rate interface configuration command to configure the clock rate for the hardware connections on serial interfaces such as network interface modules (NIMs) and interface processors to an acceptable bit rate

Cheers

Hoogen

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Do a show controller and verify that your serial is a DCE side. Apply the clcok rate command appropriately and that does imply your line speed.

Cheers

Hoogen

alright so by setting the clock rate I am actually setting the speed of the line? What is the max speed clock rate I can set?

I heard setting the bandwidth command is only for routing protocols purposes. Is that correct? becuase when I type the show interface command it tells me the speed is 1544kbits which I thought was the default for a serial connection.

Yeah your are right sheppar. The second link which was posted has pretty good info. Do look into it.

HTH

Hoogen

So is there any command which can help us to reduce the actual transfer speed on the serial link to lower instead of using the default of 1544kbits?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: