cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 offices

tlt200611
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect 2 offices about 300km apart, so that the remote office can connect to application on my Windows Server. I know i need a leased line, i also need 2 router to connect the leased line. But since I have ADSL-broadband cum wireless network already in my HQ office, what type of router do I need? Does it mean that each PC/laptop have to connect to 2 network?

For your suggestion and advise, thank you :)

4 Replies 4

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

depending on your bandwidth requirement, you can decide on the type of WAN connectivity required like leased line, frame relay, ISDN etc.

once you decide on the type of WAN connectivity you require, number of users at each site, you can choose the specific product which will suit your requirement.

you dont need to have PC/laptop to be connected to ADSL broadband and wireless at the same time. at a given time they will be connected to either network.

rate if it helps or let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your fast response :)

We are deciding on a leased line, since the activities will not be high, maybe a 512KB line will be sufficient.

There will only be 1-2 user on the remote site, and another 5 user on the HQ site. It is more for the remote user to connect to the HQ site, since the application will be hosted at the HQ site.

The only time the HQ user have to connect to the remote site, is probably for file retrieval or transfer.

I suppose this network will be internal.

How can the PC/laptop at the HQ and remote site still connects to the internet through existing ADSL network?

The entire office at the HQ is wireless, even the printer.

Will it be possible for the users at the remote site to connect through this internal network to access the internet at the HQ?

can you share topology of the current network and also configs of the device present in the network.

Hi

since you are using just two sites first you dont need routing protocol static routing is good to go.

so at the HQ you have a connection to the internet which mean that you have a static route toward the ISP for the unkown destinations, the same thing at the remote site configure a default route toward the HQ,so every traffic in the remote site that have no destination localy will be forwarded by the remote site router to the HQ router, when traffic at the HQ the one destined for network in the HQ will find it way locally, the other destined to internet the router at the HQ will send it the ISP router.

(the wireless technologie does not matter)

HTH

do rate if it clarify.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: