Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Connecting a 2950 Switch to an existing small network

Wondering what's the best way to connect a 2950 Switch to an existing small network. It consists of a few computers on just basic old Linksys switches, but there's only 1 network cable going to the back room, where we have several computers that need to access the internet. I've had a spare 2950 kicking around (RMA from a customer, all ports work but a good bunch of them do not light for some reason) that I'd like to just connect to the existing network line in the back room and have it piggyback essentially so all the machines in the back room can have internet access.

I'm just wondering how I should go about wiring and setting up this switch to work properly, as it's been awhile since I've done this, and the last time I did, it was with the ancient 1900 series switches :).

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Connecting a 2950 Switch to an existing small network

Hello,

basically, it depends on if you have different VLANs implemented in your current network or not. If not, you could just connect the 2950 to one of the Linksys switches, using a crossover cable. The default VLAN for all ports on the 2950 is VLAN 1, so all you have to do is plug your computers into the (working) ports of the 2950, without configurung anything else.

HTH,

GP

Community Member

Re: Connecting a 2950 Switch to an existing small network

Yeah there's no existing Cisco equipment on this network so there wouldn't be any other VLAN's. I'll give it a go on Friday and see how things go :).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content