Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting two LANs

Vergil_Ace
Level 1
Level 1

Please,

I plan on connecting two LANs together via. the internet (public resource). The LANs are across town.

The computers on each LAN will be able to access other(some) computers on the other LAN (and vice-versa), they will still be able to connect to the internet. Basically, they will be able to share resources (files, application etc.)

Undergone some research regarding this, was able to find out that having a VPN connection will be a good way to go. But I have no full knowledge on what hardware I will need. How to start exactly.

If VPN is actually a good way to go, please let me know (maybe some other alternatives).

If I can get a good picture of what to do, will be very happy.

Please, can someone lead me in a good direction. Thank you.

7 Replies 7

kamal-learn
Level 4
Level 4

hi

first using a public network like internet without any security i mean encryption is not recomemded ,what i would suggest is to use a VPN tunnel between both sites,so you can configure your routers with the appropriate ios software to build the tunnels, but if you have to connect a huge sites the best way to go is the use of a VPN concentrator 3000 series, if one of the two sites has less that 250 client you can use a client VPN concentrator 3002 series .

HTH

do rate if it does clarify

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

First of all lets focus on the end points connectivity part.What is the internet terminating onto?Say if its a leased line or a Ethernet or ADSL, then you can directly terminate it onto a cisco router.If its a ethernet connectivity, then I would recommend PIX or ASA.

Secondary we come to the tunnels,i.e, the link between both the offices which should be encrypted.This tunnel will be your pipe.Though a PIX/ASA by default support VPN tunnels and encryptions,you need to have that K9 IOS into the router.

Pls eleborate on the connectivity medium, then it will be easier to suggest you something.

Pls read the text at following link...it will give you a better picture...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5743/Products_Sub_Category_Home.html

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Yes,

I plan on making use of a leased line(which I think is cost-effective; again suggestions are welcome).

I hope that answers the question u asked.

Cheers.

Hi

Then the best thing you can do is to terminate the link onto a VPN capable router such as 2801 to start.You can terminate a lease line onto the router and configure to router as VPN peers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009463b.shtml

You may also use Security Device Manager (SDM) available free to configure the router using GUI if you are a newbie.

Hope that will help.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Thanks for the reply,

After doing some more research, found out that implementing the whole connection based on getting a leased line will be quite expnesive (as this is for a small company of 50users on each site).

I have decided to make use of a Remote Access VPN, deployed using SSL (not IPsec due to its extra complexity; using a preinstaled software).

How then will I get around this (Hardware wise & Connectivity).

Thanks so much

I recommend using an IPSec tunnel. You can do that easily "not complex", since the leased line is expensive, you can install cisco 1841 with ADSL WIC "this depends according to your DSLAM" in each site and install an advanced Security IOS image on the two routers and start playing. i think this solution will help you connecting the both sites.

Hi

First of all, IPSec is not at all complex.

Secondary, to my knowledge,SSL VPN is "per user" based.That is you cannot route whole branch's traffic using one single tunnel.Every user in the remote branch will have to initiate a tunnel seperately.Hence, if u have 50 users, then u will have 50 seperate tunnels.

If costs prohibits then not I nor u can do anything about that. A cisco 2800 series router supports upto 75 SSL VPN connections.

Hope that will help.

Regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card