Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Connecting with a building

Hi,can anyone help me out, i have three pcs in different rooms, and i have a Cisco work group router, and one of the rooms got an internet connection from a cable modem, and i need to conect the other two rooms so they could access the internet, how would the connection be? do i need a router or i can go ahead and use just the switch?

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Connecting with a building

Hi Friend,

Just a switch will be enough for your requirement. As you already have a router which you can plug into the same switch and connect all the machines to the same switch.

You can go for Cisco Catalyst Express 500 Switches

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/catex500/index.htm

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

Re: Connecting with a building

if your router have multiple Ethernet ports ( for e.g 3 ports) then just plug every computer to router and connect router to cable modem

your network will connect to internet

if no then buy a switch and check whether modem gives u DCHP services or not if yes then connect all computers to switch and connect modem also and change ur LAN setting into DCHP you won't need router any more

If your modem doesn't give you DHCP and router don't have more then 1 Ethernet ports then buy a switch and connect your systems and router's Ethernet port in switch and router WAN port in modem your network will also connect to internet

Hope this may help you

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content