cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copy tftp run

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

If I have a config in my router already and I then copy another config in from my tftp server, will it totally overwrite the existing config ?

7 Replies 7

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

Not at all you need save configuration with commands write memory or copy run start, if you dont save configuration after restart you will get "original" configuration

M.

Hope that helps rate if it does

I understand, but will it overwrite the current config ?

Carl,

What will happen is that the config you copy from the TFTP server will result in the commands in that config being applied to the running config as if you had actually pasted each of the commands in individually. It will not remove any of the original config but will overwrite those things that you can only have a single line for e.g. IP addresses.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

An example:

If you had the following config on the box:

interface Ethernet0

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip access-group 101 in

!

And if the config on the TFTP server was

interface Ethernet0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

The resulting config would be:

interface Ethernet0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip access-group 101 in

!

I.e. the IP address has been overwritten but the ip access-group command is still there...

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

Paresh is correct. Basically it will merge the two configs, the current running config and the new config via tftp.

Hi Paresh,

I was in dilemma for replying this post. Actually i know it will merge the two configurations.

But i dont know to whom i should refer for this doubt. you replied right with apt example.

Regards,

Guru Prasad.R

hi guru prasad.r,,,

its just change the modified command or u can say the command which are changed...other commands will remaining same...

please rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card