cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS on Cisco 877

mmubarak
Level 1
Level 1

How to configure Local IP(Router IP)address , gateway address for PC's to work as a DNS on PC's to access internet rather then using ISP DNS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You don't need to use the name-server command if you use the "ppp ipcp dns request" command.

If the ISP servers are stable then you can use the ip name-server isp.dns.ser.ver command. If they are subject to change I would let ipcp discover them for you.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

You cannot make a router to act as DNS Server,

So your host needs to configure with ISP DNS Server, if you are not setting up a local DNS server.

You can configure Cisco Router to use DNS server, which must have setup already , using

"ip name-server x.x.x.x" command

HTH..rate if helpful..

Normaly when using ADSL gateways like Speed Touch and Linksys, these modem provide DNS to PC's which is local IP or you can say Gateway IP which is Local IP like e.g,192.168.1.1

The thing is strange why Cisco is not havign this feature, Can any one clarify this.

rmcarthur
Level 1
Level 1

Use the global command "ip dns server" and under your dialer interface "ppp ipcp dns request" and set your PCs to use the local address of the router as their dns server.

You still use the ISPs dns servers, but only to look up unknown urls. The router will cache the resolved entries and serve them to your local PCs next time they are requested.

Hope this helps

What about ip name-server 0.0.0.0

weather It will be local IP of router or ISP DNS?

You don't need to use the name-server command if you use the "ppp ipcp dns request" command.

If the ISP servers are stable then you can use the ip name-server isp.dns.ser.ver command. If they are subject to change I would let ipcp discover them for you.

Finally it worked , thanks a lot for useful information. Now its working fine with using Local IP of router in DNS.

Cool, I was happy to help and thanks for the rating.

Have fun with the 877!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card