cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

easy for some, hard for me...MPLS and LAN

carolinatime
Level 1
Level 1

Based on the attached diagram, I need site 2's pc to use site 1's firewall for internet access. If you had 2 factory fresh L3 poe switches, how would you program them to get the needed results?

PS anything on the diagram can be changed (ip addreses, GW's, VLAN's etc)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elton Babcock
Level 1
Level 1

Easiest way is to just have your default route on your site 2 MPLS router point to the site 1 MPLS router. This way any subnets the router doesn't know about (such as the Internet) will get sent to site 1 and then out of the firewall.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Elton Babcock
Level 1
Level 1

Easiest way is to just have your default route on your site 2 MPLS router point to the site 1 MPLS router. This way any subnets the router doesn't know about (such as the Internet) will get sent to site 1 and then out of the firewall.

Are you using a dynamic routing protocol like OSPF at both sites? What the first poster suggested is correct, but you may need to have site one advertise the default route into the MPLS so site two can pick it up.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

I have no idea. I guess I would have to ask the MPLS providers that (they manager the MPLS routers)?

What are you using on your LAN for a routing protocol?  Are you just using static routes at both sites?  If you are, you can try just making Site B's default route the same as Site A's.  Try pinging the Site A firewall from one of the PCs at Site 2 and make sure you can get to it.  You may have to make sure the firewall allows echo reply on the inside interface.  If you can get to it you might try doing something like the below on your switch at site 2:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x <---Site 1 GW, your firewall?

HTH

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

yes, on site A's switch, I have 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to 192.168.1.5 (the sonicwall firewall)

The odd part is that I can ping a PC directly connected to site A's switch from a pc on site B, but I cannot ping the firewall directly connected to switch on Site SA from the pc on Site B. (I can however ping the firewall from both the switch and the PC on site A)

Check the routing tables on your firewall.  Make sure there is a route to Site B.  It sounds like your firewall might not know that Site B is "inside" instead of "outside".  So when you ping the inside interface of your firewall from Site B, it's sending the reply to it's default router - the outside.  You may need to put a couple of static router statements on your firewall like:

route 192.138.4.0/24 inside

route 10.14.2.0/24 inside

I have no idea of the syntax for Sonicwall's so you'll have to figure that part out. 

One thing that you should check is that the SonicWall firewall has a route back to the subnet in site B.

Most likely the traffic is making it to the firewall but becauase the SonicWall doesn't have a route it tries to send it out of its default route.

Also check rules that you can actually ping the firewall from that subnet.

ok, I'm getting closer. I added the route 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0 --> 192.168.1.254 on the sonicwall. Now I can ping the PC on site B from the sonicwall and visa vera with the site B pc. Now I have to figure out how to get site B's pc to reach the web. (pinging 4.2.2.2 for example shows "destination unreachable 192.168.4.254)

The site B's route is 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 --> 192.168.1.5 (the sonicwall)

Do you have NAT statements in your firewall for that subnet at Site B?

before the NAT stuff, should I have a route on the sonciwall saying "from the 192.168.4.0 subnet to the internet use this gateway"? The below is all the routes in the sonicwall (ps. the mb subnet is the 192.168.4.0/24 and the sw1-gw is 192.168.1.254)

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question.  Are you using multiple interfaces on the SW at the Internet edge?  I don't have any experience with SW but if you have to define which egress interface each inside subnet needs to use, then possibly. 

Curious if this was resolved?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

I am meeting with our MPLS providers next week to hash this out.

carolinatime
Level 1
Level 1

Solution:

The MPLS provider added a 0.0.0.0 route pointing to the site 1 switch 192.168.1.253 (which it has a 0.0.0.0 pointing to the firewall of 192.168.1.5)...BGP to all other MPLS routers and all is well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card