Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP and OSPF - Routing Table?

fjcardenas-1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

If we have both EIGRP and OSPG configured from A to Z .... I know EIGRP has a better (lower) Adminsitrative Distance so it will be the prefered route .... the question is: Will the route learned with OSPF appear in the routing table or only the route learned with EIRGP will appear in the routing table?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Francisco,

both protocols will propose their route for the same prefix the routing protocol maintaner will install only the EIGRP route (unless it is an EIGRP external route that has AD 170 > OSPF 110).

In any case only one route will be installed.

to be noted that each protocol sends its own updates.

I mean that the each routing protocol propagates its prefixes to neighbors if they have.

The scenario becomes more complex if you redistribute OSPF into EIGRP or viceversa or both.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Francisco,

both protocols will propose their route for the same prefix the routing protocol maintaner will install only the EIGRP route (unless it is an EIGRP external route that has AD 170 > OSPF 110).

In any case only one route will be installed.

to be noted that each protocol sends its own updates.

I mean that the each routing protocol propagates its prefixes to neighbors if they have.

The scenario becomes more complex if you redistribute OSPF into EIGRP or viceversa or both.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

One preferred route per network is installed.

If you type show ip route x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the subnet in question you will see the details.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card