Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Extending Switch Port Connection in a Secured Network

I am working on a project in a secured environment with no access to the configuration of this secured network, 3 Access ports with terminals MAC address secured each on the two switches were allowed to connect terminals to this network, this network should no way connect to my network. The applications Support group using these terminals are finding it difficult to support effectively from a special office, instead will prefer the terminals to be in their office.

I want to extend these ports to a dedicated switch in another office to connect the terminals, by getting (2) 3550 switched fibre linked together from the dedicated comms room and the ASG office, connecting the 3 port each from the 2 switches to one of my dedicated switch with crossed cable and connecting my terminals to the other dedicated switch extended to the office.

How can I do it without bringing down the secured network?

Thanks

1 REPLY
Green

Re: Extending Switch Port Connection in a Secured Network

It might be easier to just use a pair of copper->fiber media converters and move the workgroup switch into the office (or the closet that feeds that office).

It'd certaily be less expensive than a couple 3550s ... media converters are US$150.00 or less each.

Logically, it just looks like wire; you keep your MAC addresses, the security config stays the same.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies