cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

frame reley

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

when configuring frame relay, do i have to create a subinterface to use it as point to point ? and do i have to specify this in the config ?

6 Replies 6

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Carl,

You certainly do need to create a sub-interface in order to use p2p frame-relay. This is how you would do it:

interface serial0.32 point-to-point

ip address...

frame-relay interface-dlci 32

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

do I not need to do a frame relay map ip on this ?

Carl,

When using a point-to-point FR sub-interface, there is no need for a frame-relay map at all. It is p2p so there is no need to tell it what's on the other side.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

Would both ends have the same dlci or different ? what would both ends look like ,would I put them on the same subnet ?

hi carl,,,

its up to u what kind of connectivity u r looking for....and u need to configure two different DLCI in order to make communication between two end device it like lets take two router having encapsulation frame relay...if router a want to communicate with router b then it will use xxx dlci and when router b wants to communicate with router a then it will u se other yyy dlci...when ever u r talking about mulipoint then u will have same subnet ...and when ever u r having pt to pt then u must have both end in one subnet...

regards

Devang

rwyates_2
Level 1
Level 1

The DLCI is locally significant to the router. If you have on Frame relay circuit at your host you will a number of DLCI's assigned to it. The remote sites will genreally just have one. that is the DLCI to the host. The service provider will assign DLcI's generally, but it is possible to have the same DLCI on both ends.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card