Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateways in vSPhere installation

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a working setup with Cisco UCS blades and EMC VNXe storage. But we have to move the routing from a router to internal Layer 3 routing in the switch (Cisco Catalyst 3650).

Inn this environment the management network is on the 10.203.100.x subnet. The ESXi gateway is therefore 10.203.100.1.

The VM data network is on the 10.203.97.x subnet.

The storage on subnets 10.203.94.x and 10.203.93.x.

All these subnets are on different vlans also.

In the switch, we obviously need routing for 10.203.100.1, because the ESXi management network need access to storage vlans and to DNS on the 97-subnet.

But why do we also need routing for 10.203.97.1? Only VM data network traffic is going on this subnet. Is the answer internet connectivity? My understanding is that the VMs default gateway only will be used for hosts outside of its internal subnet. Or is the reason that we maybe want to run vSphere client from the VM?

I am just wondering here if this will work without the 97.1 gateway entry in the switch setup (a vlan SVI).

2 Replies 2

answanso
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Atle,

The idea is that your management vmks for the ESXi hosts will use the first network to manage those hosts through the vSphere client. The VM data VLAN would be used for the virtual guests within ESXi. For example when you create a windows server you could put the vNIC in the VM data VLAN and it would use that VLAN as it's default gateway to reach anything off network.

Hth

Anthony

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

yes, I know that. Ii was just wondering if the vSPhere environment will still work if the VMs do not have a gateway. They can still communicate on the same subnet without a gateway, right? So they only need the gateway for routing to other VLANS/subnets. For instance to internet. Correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: