cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

General questions about DHCP relay

Hi network expert,

I have some questions about DHCP relay. If you could help me...

First, I wonder if DHCP relay relays all requests or just DHCP Discover and following requests with same ID. I mean if the DHCP client just ask to renew a previous lease sending a DHCP Request whereas this client got a lease from another network, does the relay relays the orphan DHCP Request?

Then,I wonder if it is possible to not alway relay DHCP Requests. I mean, is it possible to configure kind of filter on a relay, and how?

Thanks for your time.

Bai

1 REPLY

Re: General questions about DHCP relay

Hi network expert,

I have some questions about DHCP relay. If you could help me...

First, I wonder if DHCP relay relays all requests or just DHCP Discover and following requests with same ID. I mean if the DHCP client just ask to renew a previous lease sending a DHCP Request whereas this client got a lease from another network, does the relay relays the orphan DHCP Request?

Then,I wonder if it is possible to not alway relay DHCP Requests. I mean, is it possible to configure kind of filter on a relay, and how?

Thanks for your time.

Bai

Hi Bai,

When the DHCP client boots up on the network, the DHCP lease process occurs between the DHCP server and DHCP client. During the DHCP lease process, the DHCP scopes configured for a DHCP server is used to provide DHCP clients with IP addresses.

Because the DHCPDISCOVER message is a broadcast message, and broadcasts only cross other segments when they are explicitly routed, you might have to configure a DHCP Relay Agent on the router interface so that all DHCPDISCOVER messages can be forwarded to your DHCP server. Alternatively, you can configure the router to forward DHCP messages and BOOTP message. In a routed network, you would need DHCP Relay Agents if you plan to implement only one DHCP server.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content