Views
Helpful
Replies

Harsh Environmental Conditions

Daniel_A.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am currently planning an expansion of our network in northern Australia, and am expecting ambient air temperatures to reach 50C during the summer months. As such I need a Cisco switch that can handle high temperatures, and has gigabit capabilities. The system will be installed in a remote area with a solar power supply (hence no aircon), and should be maintanence free, preferably without a fan. The 2955-12T has been used in our network previously with success, but we require a unit with additional gigabit ports at one of our sites.

After looking around at some switches, the 2960G-8TC looks suitable, as it is fanless and has a high MTBF, but it is only rated to 45C. What is the effect of running the switch at higher ambient temperatures than stated? Is it simply reduced longevity, or will it induce communications errors?

If there is another switching solution which I overlooked and is more suitable to the application, please let me know.

Thanks,

Daniel.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

Increased temperature can cause a system to operate at reduced efficiency and cause a variety of problems, including premature aging and failure of chips, and failure of mechanical devices

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

Increased temperature can cause a system to operate at reduced efficiency and cause a variety of problems, including premature aging and failure of chips, and failure of mechanical devices

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card