Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Help backing up 2811 IOS image via tftp

So I've read a few similar posts, and I knwo the common issues with this. I don't have those.  I'm connected via the crossover cable, I've disabled windows firewall, and I've set windows to allow ICMP echo requests.  I cannot ping either direction and the router and host cannot see each other's mac addresses on their associated arp tables.  I _think_ I need to configure the 'console' interface, but I have no idea what the 'console' port is actually called by the router. Is it FastEthernet0/0 or something?  Help please?

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Router < --- cross-over cable --- > PC

Try this ...

Router configuration:

conf t

interface f 0/0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.0.0.0

no shut

end

PC

IP Address = 1.1.1.2

Subnet Mask = 255.0.0.0

Default Gateway = leave blank or 1.1.1.1

Use a TFTP application like TFTPd32

Router command to copy IOS from the router to the PC:

copy flash:IOS.filename tftp://1.1.1.2/IOS.filename

8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

You can back the IOS into a USB flash drive.

Silver

Heath Carroll wrote:

So I've read a few similar posts, and I knwo the common issues with this. I don't have those.  I'm connected via the crossover cable, I've disabled windows firewall, and I've set windows to allow ICMP echo requests.  I cannot ping either direction and the router and host cannot see each other's mac addresses on their associated arp tables.  I _think_ I need to configure the 'console' interface, but I have no idea what the 'console' port is actually called by the router. Is it FastEthernet0/0 or something?  Help please?

Thanks in advance...

Why are you using a crossover cable?

Typically, connecting a PC/Node to a router needs a straight through cable. It's only when you're connecting a router to another router (or switch) that you need a crossover cable - and even then only on slower interfaces (most gigabit interfaces support auto mdi/mdi-x these days).

How have you configured the router? The "console" port referred to in Cisco nomenclature is an old-school serial port, and needs both a Cisco console cable (normally coloured light blue, the same as the port) connected to a PC's serial port (or, more commonly these days, a USB to Serial adapter) running at 9600 baud, with 8N1 (8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit) and no flow control, and a terminal program such as Hyperterm or TeraTerm.

Is the interface on the router up (does it have connector lights on it). Is the interface on the PC up? Where did you assign the IP address for the PC from?

Need a bit more information to decipher what's going on here.

Cheers.

Re: Help backing up 2811 IOS image via tftp

Hi,

There is a number of places to start looking.

Based on your description i am assuming that you have a laptop computer plugged into FastEthernet0/0 on your router. First can you confirm that the fastethernet interface on your router is "up & up"? To do this issue the command "show interface fastethernet0/0" on your router.

If this looks ok can you send a copy of your running config (passwords redacted) so we can check ip configurations etc.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Router < --- cross-over cable --- > PC

Try this ...

Router configuration:

conf t

interface f 0/0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.0.0.0

no shut

end

PC

IP Address = 1.1.1.2

Subnet Mask = 255.0.0.0

Default Gateway = leave blank or 1.1.1.1

Use a TFTP application like TFTPd32

Router command to copy IOS from the router to the PC:

copy flash:IOS.filename tftp://1.1.1.2/IOS.filename

Thanks for all the replies,

darren.q: Yes, I'm configuring it with the blue serial/console cable and an old dell xp server running Hyperterm with the settings you have above. Thanks.

PAnsell86: They are not "up&up" as there is nothing connected to the fastethernet ports at all. I'm sure that's the problem >.>

leolaohoo: Yes, I tried a USB, but it keeps telling me it can't read any of their descriptions and/or that they are the wrong format. Your second response I believe is what I was _trying_ to do, I just thought that the blue console cable was a 'crossover cable'.  I know better now <)  I'll be trying this again tomorrow morning with both a console cable connected from my serial port and an actual crossover cable connected from my host's ethernet port to the router's fastethernet 0/0 port with similar settings as you posted above.  I have to turn DHCP off and manually configure the computers ip address and mask, and then mannualy configure the router as you have above.  Do I actuall need a crossover cable for this, or should I use a standard ethernet cable?

The main problem was that I was only communicating with the router via the serial/console cable and not actually via a network connection.  I'll try this in the am and post back when it works.

Thanks for the help.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

leolaohoo: Yes, I tried a USB, but it keeps telling me it can't read any of their descriptions and/or that they are the wrong format. Your second response I believe is what I was _trying_ to do, I just thought that the blue console cable was a 'crossover cable'.  I know better now <)  I'll be trying this again tomorrow morning with both a console cable connected from my serial port and an actual crossover cable connected from my host's ethernet port to the router's fastethernet 0/0 port with similar settings as you posted above.  I have to turn DHCP off and manually configure the computers ip address and mask, and then mannualy configure the router as you have above.  Do I actuall need a crossover cable for this, or should I use a standard ethernet cable?

Firstly, not all USB sticks, that ain't Cisco-branded, are supported.  If they are, you need to format these sticks from your computer using FAT16 or you can format it from the router.

The new ISR G1 is MDI/MDI-X ports as long as you don't hard-code the speed and duplex setting. 

Silver

Heath Carroll wrote:

Thanks for all the replies,

darren.q: Yes, I'm configuring it with the blue serial/console cable and an old dell xp server running Hyperterm with the settings you have above. Thanks.

PAnsell86: They are not "up&up" as there is nothing connected to the fastethernet ports at all. I'm sure that's the problem >.>

Heath.

Having nothing connected to the fast ethernet ports on the router is certainly your problem - you can't back up your IOS over the serial cable without a lot of slow, time consuming work.

You do NOT need a crossover cable to conenct your Dell server to one of the fast ethernet ports - a straight cable will work fine. Leo's suggested configuration should leave you able to telnet from your Dell server into the router (although you may have to set a password on the TTY lines depending on how they're configured), and if you can telnet then you can use TFTP to backup software and configurations.

Cheers.

Thanks for the help guys.  Got the connectivity problem solved with what leolaohoo posted above. Now I just need to upgrade the flash storage to a size big enough to hold our new  ios image...

Thanks for all the help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content