cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help!!! New to Networking...

OuttaLuck
Level 1
Level 1

I am somewhat new to the networking world, as I made the decision I do not like my old job, and will pursue a CCIE certification. I am trying to teach myself the networking part of it, and pretty much running into brick walls everywhere I turn, but hey, I'll learn a little more from it.

My problem is this:

I bought a Catalyst 2924 XL off of e-bay to play around with for the moment, only, it's configured to someone elses network. I've tried to connect to it with a console cable (after I figured out what that was), only I can't connect to it. I read somewhere about resetting it, but I can't get that to work (operator error, I'm sure). Please, I know this isn't that difficult, but I can't figure out how to do it! Can someone please walk me through the steps to resetting a 2924XL switch, and tell me what I'm supposed to see when I'm doing it? Or tell me how to get into it to reset it so I can work with it? Thanks!!!

Outta Luck

3 Replies 3

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

This link should take care of you dude. Good luck on your journey through the world of CCIE... get ready to sacrifice your social life. I'm still waiting to get mine back! :)

I think that was the link I was on before, although all I succeeded in doing was turning all the LED's for the ports on, except port 1. Then the System LED flashed at me....I'll give it another go when I get home...I have no social life, this truck driving stuff makes sure you have no life.. hehehe, thanks, I'll play more when I get home, maybe to some avail...

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to make sure you have the correct console cable and a good terminal emulator like Tera Term setup for 9600,8,n,1 . if this is setup correct you should at least see something in the display as it starts to bootup , then you can go thru the password recovery procedure and wiping out the current config with the "write erase" command ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card