Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Help on Cisco Switch

My present LAN consist of 4 switches. 2 x 24 ports 2900XL Catalyst and 2 x 48 ports 2960G Catalyst. Crossed cables are seen connecting all these swtiches together. All the switches have only VLAN1. As I am running out of switch port and bought a 24 ports Catalyst 2960 Series SI LAN Lite image. Now i want to join this new switch to the LAN, how should i go about after configuring the swtich with an ip address up and running. Do i simply just find an available port in the last switch to plug in a cross cable to the new switchly setup switch? Do i have to use a particular port of any available port will do with the crossed cable? What are other things to take note? Any expert can help me out?

3 REPLIES

Re: Help on Cisco Switch

Hi,

For complexity reasons, let's name your switches

2900 = 2900-1

2900 = 2900-2

2960G = 2960G-1

2960G = 2960G-2

2960NEW

I'm not sure about the 2900 series but if you connect the 2960NEW switch straight out of the box with a crossover cable to either 2960G-1/2960G-2 and each port on 2960G-1/2960G-2 has its default configuration then they will form a trunk with out applying any commands in the IOS due to each Fast Ethernet port by default being set to dynamic desirable.

It depends if the 2960G-1/2960G-2 series has had all non trunk ports switched to access ports. If they are access ports then the 2960NEW will form static access link with 2960G-1/2960G-2, this will still carry traffic but not VLAN traffic, which in your case is ok are I believe you are not using VLANS respectively.

Just to note, in your scenario, is this a production network? Are your switches linked in a line? Sw1 > Sw2 > Sw3 > Sw4? Do you have any redundant (backup) links between the switches, so if 1 link fails all 4 switches can still communicate with each other? If not, I would advise looking into Spanning Tree Protocol.

In regards to configuring the IP on the new 2960, you will need to connect a console cable and console in to the switch. Search round the Cisco website for a document which explains the commands with examples.

Hope this helps,

Garry

Thank you very much Gary for the reply and explanation. Yes, you are right, this is a production network. All the switches are link in a line. Switch 1->2->3->4. There isnt't any redundant backup. Looking at the switch configuration, it seems like a very simple one. Thanks alot!

Ok, glad to be a help! Hope you get it sorted. If you have any more questions on this update this thread.

Garry

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content