cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help, routing capabilityes vlans Cisco 3560 (WS-C3560G-48TS)

superdust
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have a Cisco 3560 I use for core switch and router in a small/medium network.

There is only one default route out of the network, so noting complex.

There is 15VLANs and about 800Clients routed through this router/switch.

The "WAN" traffic peaks at about 60Mbps.

The CPU load is uasually at around 6% but sometimes spikes at around 50%.

The big question is how mutch traffic can I route through this switch?

And what specks should I lock for to determine this?

What Cisco product should I upgrade to when the time comes?

Thanks in advance if anybody takes time to answer my questions.

4 Replies 4

a.tolstykh
Level 1
Level 1

WS-C3560G-48TS: forwarding bandwidth is 32Gbps, packets per second: 38.7 Mpps - you are nowhere near the capacity of this box.

sho int stats

sho int count

sho proc cpu hist

sho proc cpu sort

sho controllers utilization

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Superdust,

I don't think you have to worry about your switch. It has enough capacity to handle your traffic with a lot of room for growth.

The switching capacity of this switch is 38.7 Mpackets per second (not Mbits per second).

As far as you have enabled CEF operation with the "ip cef" global config command, the regular traffic will not affect processor utilization, as these packets are switched in the switching hardware.

Processor utilization increasing factors may be the following:

DHCP and ARP requests, routing protocol updates, icmp messages, management traffic, and other non-regular traffic, that cannot be switched by the switching hardware.

But they are usually low compared to the traffic switched by the fast switching hardware, unless you have a so called Denial of Service attack.

Cheers:

Istvan

Thank you for answering.

But what about the routing table?

How mutch can it route?

Depends on the SDM template in use.

e.g.

See "Table 7-1" in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_20_se/configuration/guide/swsdm.html

PS:

Upgrade paths for the 3560, if you need faster, would be either the 3560-E or 4948s. More ports 3750; stacked. Both, 3750-E (stacked) or chassis.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: