cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Setting Up A Cisco Lab For IOS Upgrade?

Velandil1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I've collected quite a few routers and switches over the past few months that have what seems to be corrupted or no IOS. I have a small lab set up to test parts, and I was wondering how I can network them in such a way where I have an active functional network (for testing purposes, not for actual internet use), that I can connect routers or switches to and upgrade or change the IOS version.

I have all the hardware and cabling needed, and I have the Cisco IOS software for the routers I need, I've just never upgraded or changed an IOS on a router or switch before.

I have:

a Cisco 7505 with an RSP4+, 256MB RAM, 16MB Flash, and it's full of the modules that hold the PA cards (I forget what it's called, but I just use it to throw PA cards in to test 8 at a time).

A Cisco 3450 (I believe, 3400 series anyhow) that I believe is 64/16, that again I use for testing.

Two Cisco 2621 64/16, for testing WIC's, VWIC's and NM's.

Two Cisco 2950 series switches, one I'd like to use to actually connect to my LAN already implimented seperatly, and one to connect to this mini lab LAN.

So again, I'm wondering how I can set these up on a small LAN just for testing purposes and so I can just connect a device and upgrade it's IOS. I also need information about the TFTP server and all of that as I haven't been able to find out much info on it.

Thanks in advance for any help :).

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

i would suggest to power them on one by one and check out the whether they are functional.

you can plugin to the console port and check out for any errors related to boot and the normal bootup procedure.

once you are thru with bootup prcess esp with your routers then you can configure a single ip from any ip block usually u can make use of private block aval.

Also configure you PC or workstation with the secondary ip in that particular subnet so that u can have telnet access to these switches.

I feel you know that you can connect the ethernet ports of these routers with a straight cable on the 2950 switch here.

once you are thru with the connectivity you can very well check out for the software codes which can cater the required features u want to test out over there.

do refer this link which can take u to software download,software advisor,feature advisor etc.,

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/support/tac/tools.shtml

regds

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

First of all make sure that the flash is enough for IOS you are loading.Here is guide for loading IOS.

(1)Download and install tftp server from www.solarwinds.net

(2)Give IP on ethernet port of router

(3)Give IP on computer which should be in same subnet that of router

(4)Follow the following steps:

Router#copy tftp: flash:

Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.1.67

Source filename []? c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.122-15.T9.bin

Destination filename [c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.122-15.T9.bin]?

Accessing tftp://192.168.1.67/c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.122-15.T9.bin...

Erase flash: before copying? [confirm]

Erasing the flash filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]

Erasing device... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...erased

Erase of flash: complete

Loading c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.122-15.T9.bin from 192.168.1.67 (via FastEthernet0): !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[OK - 9190488/18380800 bytes]

Verifying checksum... OK (0xF7C5)

9190488 bytes copied in 129.664 secs (71244 bytes/sec)

(5)Reboot and your new IOS is ready.

Regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card