cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with basic VLAN's using Cisco 3560's

ebreverman
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Cisco 3560's that will each have be on its own VLAN. However I would like each 3560 to have each other's VLAN as well.

How do I assign the IP address/VLAN of the "other" 3560 to each 3560. Can I just create a VLAN use the command "ip address" to do this? I keep reading about VTP, do I need to set this up, or is it optional?

Are there additional protocols that must be configured? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

1 Reply 1

kamal-learn
Level 4
Level 4

go with vtp it will forward the vlan information between your both switches.

so you need to read about VTP so that you can understand how it functions and in a case of a problem troubleshooting will be easy for you.

here a basic implementation :

first enable your vtp by creating a vtp domain and a password that must be the same in both switches,also configure the mode as client and the other as server, the server will allows you to create modify delete VLAN and in addition it will forward them to the other

in both switches do:

switch(config)#vtp domain test

switch(config)#vtp password *****

switch(config)#vtp mode server/client

create your vlan in the server switch.

after that you need to configure the trunk port that connect both switches.

also if you are going to use dot1q as trunking protocol the native vlan must be the same in both switches, otherwise in the case of ISL there is no concept of such native vlan .rightnow you just enabled vtp and created the vlan to make a communication between the vlans you need a layer 3 device in this case i think you are using a MLS so what you need is just enabling ip routing if it is not enabled and assign an ip address to each SVI switched vlan interface this SVI will play the role of a gateway for the clients within that vlan (those must be done on both switches)

interface vlan xxx(<--- vlan of the switch you are in)

ip address a.a.a.a m.m.m.m

no shutdown

HTH

do rate if it does

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card