cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you deactivate a router password?

We have an Enable Password.

Is there a way to deactivate the enable password or change it to whatever it is by default when Cisco ships the router. Is there a "default" No password?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think this a continuation of the thread about selling a router. Although the above posts will mostly work assuming no AAA configurations you are better off wiping the complete config.

erase nvram or erase start is the best bet since it reset the config to basically blank.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

garytayl
Level 3
Level 3

If you are still trying to get into that 7200 router then, only thing you can try is a password recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_password_recovery09186a00800942d3.shtml

No, I have the password. How do I disable or remove the password?

Or, how do I change the password to Cisco for example?

The enable secret password can be changed in global configuration mode:

Router#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#enable secret Cisco

You could also remove the password completely:

#conf t

(config)#no enable secret

(config)#no enable password

Depending which command is used in your config.

Good luck,

Ryan

I think this a continuation of the thread about selling a router. Although the above posts will mostly work assuming no AAA configurations you are better off wiping the complete config.

erase nvram or erase start is the best bet since it reset the config to basically blank.

Ok yes, I think this is the better idea, however, it didn't work. The problem is I have two PCMCIA disks, disk0 and disk1 and they have the startup-configs on them I believe. Not sure.

I did a

enable

erase nvram

erase start

reload (excepted the save)

However, when it reloaded it still had the passwords and the config.

Do I need to erase the startup-configs up the PCMCIA cards? If so, what will the new(default) password be?

Ok, I think I have figured this out on my own.

Its been 4 years since I have touched this stuff.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card