cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how do you stop show tech

cisco steps
Level 1
Level 1

How do you stop show tech COMMAND from displaying all the input w/out stoping.. I need to captur something there but it goes fast all the way to the end.. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you can.

After double-clicking on hyperterm.exe and giving it a name the next window to pop up is the "Connect to" window.

Go to the bottom drop down box "Connect Using" and then select "TCP/IP Winsock". You will then be able to enter the IP address of the remote device.

Jon

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Easiest way i have found is to use windows hyperterm which you can use from a console connection or a telnet connection.

Along the top of the hyperterm window there are menu options

File Edit View Call Transfer Help

Under Transfer select "Capture text" and then it will prompt for a filename. Once entered anything in the hyperterm screen will be written to this file. When finished you can go back under Transfer to select "Stop capture".

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I am telneting from remote site... I did set the lenght to 24 .. that did not work.. any other input .. Thanks

No the set length won't work with "sh tech support"

Give windows hyperterm a try if you are on a windows client. Hyperterm supports telnet so you can do it remotely.

Jon

will try that .. Thanks Jon

was not able to use a telnet w/ Hyperterm, I am using XP machine

Are you saying you can't find hyperterm ?

Attached is a winzip file with hyperterm.exe and hyperterm.dll.

Extract to a folder and double-click hyperterm.exe to run.

Jon

JON

You said

"Give windows hyperterm a try if you are on a windows client. Hyperterm supports telnet so you can do it remotely"

r u saying that I can access a device that is remotely located by using w/hyperterm.. ?

how ?

yes I do have hyperterm in my machine . the problem that there is no telnet option its all com ports

Yes you can.

After double-clicking on hyperterm.exe and giving it a name the next window to pop up is the "Connect to" window.

Go to the bottom drop down box "Connect Using" and then select "TCP/IP Winsock". You will then be able to enter the IP address of the remote device.

Jon

ok will try that,

Thanks Jon

it works like a charm.. Thaks Jon

If i want to brake the output of sh tech command from the console. how can i do that?

regards

Just FYI, hyperterm does not come on Vista by default.

I guess the real answer here is that you can not stop the show tech. some versions of ios will allow you to show tech for specific things (enter show tech ? ) and see if there are other options that you could use depending on the information you are looking for..

you could also try the emulator putty it has a logging option as well.

Rather than breaking the output from the device, can I suggest a workaround?

Hyperterminal (and a lot of other terminal emulators such as puTTY etc.) allows you to ceate a log of your session to a text file.

On Hypertrm do the following:

Click "Transfer -> Capture Text"

Browse to the location to create the file.(I normally just use the desktop)

Enter a filename (Something meaningful.)

On the Console, enter "show tech" and allow the device to vomit out all the data. (Vomit is the technical term for it.)

Go to Transfer -> Capture Text -> Stop

Your show tech should now be saved to the filename you selected earlier. You can open it up and manipulate the text to your hearts content, including searching and cut and pate of the interesting section.

A few notes on using the log.

I like to run a log when I have a complex issue to troubleshoot/configure. It gives you an audit trail if you make a mistake in the config and need to figure out what you did.

You can also pause and restart a log so that you only capture the interesting stuff, and not the typo's. :)

Later,

Andrew

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco