Views
Helpful
Replies

How to adjust speed and duplex setting on a NIC

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am seeking an urgent help on how to adjust speed and duplex setting on a NIC.

Working on two PCs to experiment Router-on-a-stick and the likes but one of the PC never can ping the other even when in the same VLAN.

A book advised me reassessing the speed and duplex on the PC but unfortunately i couldn't see where they could be adjusted on the NIC properties.

Please help me out,

Regards

10 Replies 10

yumologycccp
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure where it is for you, but for me in WinXP.

Network connections -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> On the top is a button to 'configure' the NIC

Then go to advanced tab and there is a properties box and in there is duplex settings.

Medan,

Thanks for the great web link posted.

Unfortunately everything was okay until step number 10 which says"In the network adapter properties window, click the Advanced tab" there is no advanced tab there as expected, all i have there were "General, Driver,Details, Resources and power managements tabs.

Yet i am using winXP Pro original ver with SP2.

Please help still needed,

Regards

Hi,

Check in details tab....

Hi,

There is nothing like speed or duplex setting in any of the mentioned tabs.

Thank you

Hi,

How old is your PC or NIC? :) sorry to ask but old NIC 10BaseT has no other setting choice, same for first release 100BaseT (fixed). Only FastEthernet 10/100BaseT and GigabitEthernet 10/100/1000BaseT has a setting choice.

Can you tell us the model of your PC or the model of your NIC?

In the MS-DOS CLI, execute "systeminfo" and post the output here.

Regards,

Dandy

Hello,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately executing the systeminfo doesn't stay for me to copy and paste here. It only begins to load and eventually disappeared.

Meanwhile i am able to retrieve some sys info from the general tab of the system properties.

here are the given infos:

Microsoft Window XP Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Geninue Intel (R) CPU

2140 @1.60GHz

1.60Ghz, 0.99GB RAM

I hope this submitted info can help you help me further?.

Further to the main problem to be solved, can you equally tell me what to do to make the execution of "systeminfo" stays when executed?.

Regards

Hi,

Can't do, it doesn't show the NIC information.

If you execute "systeminfo" from Start + Run + systeminfo, it will disappear.

Try Start + Run + CMD

C:\> systeminfo

BTW, some NIC can be configured their hardware settings only using the Utilities that comes from its manufacturer - usually it is installed with the driver.

Regards,

Dandy

Hello Dandy,

According your guidance i have been able to retrieve the system infos.

Network card (s): One network card (s) installed.

[01]: Intel (R)82562v-2 10-100 Network connection

Connection Name:Local Area Connection

DHCP Enabled: No

Ip Address(s)

[01] 192.168.1.2

I hope this info can help you to help me further?.

This PC is connected to a switch, and cannot ping the other PC connected to the same switch. Since they cannot reach each other on the same VLAN i can not think of implementing ROAS/interVlan comm deployment

Regards

Hi,

Your NIC vendor is Intel and its a FastEthernet which support 10/100Mbps half/full-duplex if you have installed the right driver.

You should be able to set and hardcode the speed and duplex either following the steps we provided earlier or using the Intel NIC Utility (if installed).

However, you mentioned that you can't see all those settings that mentioned in the steps. Take note that to successfully configure the local PC hardware you have to login as Administrator (not Domain Admin or User).

We don't have the same server model and NIC model. If you still can't set the NIC speed/duplex, I suggest that you either post a question in your PC vendor forum or Microsoft TechNet.

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco