cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to load an IOS from CD to a tftp server?

saidfrh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Hw do you copy an IOS from a CD to a tftp server? Cisco TFTP and Solar Winds 2003 Standard Edition TFTP servers are installed on a PC running Win XP.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

I think u can copy out the ios image from the CD and place it in the home directory being used by the TFTP server.

are you facing any problems in doing so ??

i feel ur trying to upgrade the ios code in ur router if yes would suggest the following steps...

Once you are thru with the TFTP setup,take the backup of the old ios file also the config files before uploading the ios file onto the flash.

if you dont have enough flash space it will prompt for erasing the already existing ios file,you can proceed with erasing and once it will start uploading the new ios file once it gets the free space.

after its done with the upload it will check for the checksum and again u can also check it up manually using verify flash:iosfilename command.

once its done you need to reset the router and before reseting do remove any config commands under the global config related to boot system..

regds

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

I think u can copy out the ios image from the CD and place it in the home directory being used by the TFTP server.

are you facing any problems in doing so ??

i feel ur trying to upgrade the ios code in ur router if yes would suggest the following steps...

Once you are thru with the TFTP setup,take the backup of the old ios file also the config files before uploading the ios file onto the flash.

if you dont have enough flash space it will prompt for erasing the already existing ios file,you can proceed with erasing and once it will start uploading the new ios file once it gets the free space.

after its done with the upload it will check for the checksum and again u can also check it up manually using verify flash:iosfilename command.

once its done you need to reset the router and before reseting do remove any config commands under the global config related to boot system..

regds

My IOS hung up on turning on the 2612 router. I used rommon to copy the IOS from flash. I have a cd with an IOS. In the Win directory, there is a TFTP-Root file, which has a copy of the IOS that I am trying to install on the 2612. On the router, the operation times out when coppying the IOS. There does not seem to be a menu on TFTP servers that indicated the IS being stored. Any suggestions?

Hi

Instead of trying with the normal windows TFTP service u can try with solarwinds or even with 3Com TFTP services which are available as a freeware and which are also easy to configure and use.

just copy the ios file onto the home directory as i said in my earlier post and try to use tftpdnld command hope u mite be using that already to upload..

u need to map the directory in the tftp services from which it can loacate or take the ios file for uploading..

regds

Thanks for your advise. What is the procedure for mapping the directory in the tftp services?

Thanks.

Said

Thanks for your advise. What is the procedure for mapping the directory in the tftp services?

Thanks.

Said

The following are error messages from cnsole.

Router#copy flash tftp

Source filename []? c2600-is-mz.121-4.bin

Address or name of remote host []? 172.16.40.2

Destination filename [c2600-is-mz.121-4.bin]?

%Error opening tftp://172.16.40.2/c2600-is-mz.121-4.bin (Undefined error)

Router#copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host []? 172.16.40.2

Source filename []? c2600-io3-mz.123-9.bin

Destination filename [c2600-io3-mz.123-9.bin]?

Accessing tftp://172.16.40.2/c2600-io3-mz.123-9.bin...

%Error opening tftp://172.16.40.2/c2600-io3-mz.123-9.bin (Timed out)

Router#

Hi

The second error i feel is due to incorrect mapping of the folder.

not sure which tftp software ur using over ther at present for this upload ,would suggest to check out the path being used to map the ios file for the upload.

or else place the ios file in the default directory being used by the TFTP server.

Also check up the connectivity between the router and the TFTP server before getting onto the upload..

regds

Hi,

Check this link.If ur IOS is greater than 16 MB then there could be a problem.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_field_notice09186a0080094cae.shtml

Cheers,

Spidey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco