cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Upgrade IOS & DRAM ?

william2u
Level 1
Level 1

guys, i got a 2501 with 8/8 and old IOS. Now i got a latest IOS and a 16 dram, 8 flash. Any1 know how to upgrade my flash. Since my old ios is store in the old flash. What if i remove or add in another 2 8mb flash ? how to load my new IOS into the system?

Thanks in advacne, please guide me step by step, coz i'm noob.

i have go throught the cisco flash / memory upgrade procedure, but not really understand. can some1 summarize it........ Thanks a lot !

5 Replies 5

stephtchoko
Level 3
Level 3

Good day,

1- for it you need tftp server.you can download tftp server solarwind from this url: http://netacad.tt.luth.se/tools.html and install it on specific computer acts as tftp server.

you have to configure the security for send and receive on solarwind software.

2- you have to copy that you like to download on the router and paste on server

3- if the router can boot well with new flash

you have more information this url for dowload new image:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_tech_note09186a0080094b23.shtml

4- if the router can't boot well with new ios, try:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bf9e.shtml

Please don't forget to rate this post.

Regards.

kar.bibhu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Here is the procedure how to upgrade your IOS in CISCO router:

config t

int vlan1

ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

mkdir flash: ** Advised that u name a directory in the same nams as ur IOS name. Example as c3550-i9q3l2-mz.121-20.EA1a

copy tftp flash:

Source IP address of TFTP

Example: c3550-i9q3l2-mz.121-20.EA1a/c3550-i9q3l2-mz.121-20.EA1a.bin

config t

boot system flash:c3550-i9q3l2-mz.121-20.EA1a/c3550-i9q3l2-mz.121-20.EA1a.bin------ this is to make ur uploaded IOS as ur default boot file.

Dont forget to rate this.

Thanks

Bibhu.

wr

reload

This will not work on a router. It might be ok for the 3550 switch but not the 2501 router.

Mike

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Sorry but I find both the answers incomplete.Pls try following:

(1)Install Solarwinds tftp server.

(2)Set the mode to Trancieve and recieve both.

(3)Download the image to the tftp root directory.

(4)Give command(in ur current running router)

"boot system tftp {filename} {TFTP server IP address}"

say boot system tftp c2500.bin 192.168.1.1

(5)try once to boot using tftp server

(6)Now u are through for our new flash(dont attemp following if u are not through, revert back using "no boot system.......)

(7)Replace the old flash with new one

(8)Now if u start the router, it will boot from tftp server(Note: ur flash is empty)

(9)Now give ip on ur ethernet and following the upgrading procedure.

(10)Now negate the "boot system ...." command and ur system will work as old.

Pls revert back if u have any questions and rate it mine idea had helped.

Regards

JD

I've just upgraded the flash & OS on a 2503 myself, which was pretty simple. As the 2500 has 2 slots for flash just stick the new 8meg stick into the spare slot & make sure the PC running the TFTP server is directly connected to ethernet/AUI port & can be pinged ok.

Then I recommend that you copy your existing OS to the TFTP server first incase anything goes wrong: config t > copy flash tftp etc. When this is completed successfully, then just do copy tftp flash & enter the filename of the new file. The latest OS you can download to the 2500 series is 12.3(18) I think.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card