Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

internet addressing

When I buy ip addresses from my isp, Are they normally different than what the serial (external) ip address of my router interface is that I get from the provider ? and also If I Have one address at home, How to they route to this one address ?

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: internet addressing

It depends. Most ISPs will set up the connection with the customer using a /30. Any other required address space is normally pointed to the customer side of the /30 in a contiguouse block, if possible (probably with a static route statement on the ISP equipment, unless you are running a protocol with them).

Thanks, So If I only have 1 ip address which will be on my serial interface, Could I nat an internal address to this, or would I have to use PAT ? and how do they route this, As its literally only 1 ip, would It just be treated as a directly connected network on there core router ?

Bronze

I would use PAT unless you have a situation that prevents this. Do you know what your subnet mask is? That would be a good indicator of how your ISP is routing you.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content