cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

InterVLAN routing, ping success, but not RDP or email

douglaste
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure interVLAN routing but can't make Remote Desktop connections to hosts not on server VLAN and experience slow exchange server downloads to outlook clients. Looked at possible Microsoft browsing issue in an AD environment- (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001 ) or but can't understand why i can ping but not connect via RDP. tried ip-helper and directed -broadcast, no luck. TAC is not helping. Any thoughts? DNS? WINS? I can provide more info if requested.

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Are wins servers part of the DHCP scope in all vlans ? Are you able to RDP using ip address ? Can you paste your configs. Any acls ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I can ping both computer name and ip addr but can RDP neither. No ACL's. Tried various VLAN int configs from basic to desparate. Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I5S-M), Version 12 .2(25)EWA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Client config via dhcp follows:

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.10

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.20.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.18

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.18

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.24

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:30:42

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 15, 2005 8:30:42 A

This need not be a network related issue. Have you verified if the server or computer to which you are trying to RDP has terminal services enabled and working properly from a local subnet (local to that computer)?

I would like to take a look at the L3 device that routes between vlans, the source PC and destination PC you are trying to RDTP from/to.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

To give you an idea on the config, see attached. I've tried several different ways to config int's/ports. I'm running RIPv2 and included VLAN 5 alone as well as current config. Everything works fine on VLAN 5 where servers, firewall, and VPN concentrator are located but not from/to the other vlans. I've concentrated testing from VLAN 20 to VLAN 24. It's driving me nuts.

I appreciate the help.

Hello,

try a:

telnet 192.168.x.x 3389

from your client computer (where 192.168.x.x. is the IP address of your RDP target), in order to check if the port is blocked by something. If successful, you should get an 'open' message.

Otherwise, you might want to have a look at the document below, and I agree with Sankar that the problem might as well be with the Terminal Services:

Troubleshooting RDP Client Connection Problems

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=186645

Regards,

GP

i can connnect on VLAN 5 but not to a device on any other LAN. If i successfully connect via RDP to a device on VLAN 5 then move to another VLAN, I can no longer connect. I think it's a MS network browsing problem but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card