cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ios image and config

cisco steps
Level 1
Level 1

I downloaded a ios file from cisco site. it is saved on my desktop, what is the easy way to copy it from the dsktp to the router.there is no scp or tftp on my Lan, will establish that later, but for now just needed the easy install.. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

4rmorris
Level 1
Level 1

The best way is by ethernet, either by FTP or TFTP. You'll need to install a server on your PC, there's no way around it unless you want to spend 8 hours copying the config by xmodem with a console cable.

I just fire up the IIS FTP server on my PC and use that, but you could download a free tftp server here:

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/

Make sure you have enough flash memory to hold the image by typing "dir" and checking the available space. Delete files if required ("delete flash:/filename"). You may have to squeeze the flash depending on the router type "squeeze flash:".

Depending if you used tftp or ftp, use the following commands to copy the file:

copy ftp://username:password@x.x.x.x/directory/filename.bin flash:

or

copy tftp://x.x.x.x/directory/filename.bin flash:

Follow the prompts. If you have only one image in flash, reboot the router and you get the new version. If you have multiple, enter the command "boot system flash:/filename.bin" to make sure it boots the image you want.

Good luck,

Ryan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

4rmorris
Level 1
Level 1

The best way is by ethernet, either by FTP or TFTP. You'll need to install a server on your PC, there's no way around it unless you want to spend 8 hours copying the config by xmodem with a console cable.

I just fire up the IIS FTP server on my PC and use that, but you could download a free tftp server here:

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/

Make sure you have enough flash memory to hold the image by typing "dir" and checking the available space. Delete files if required ("delete flash:/filename"). You may have to squeeze the flash depending on the router type "squeeze flash:".

Depending if you used tftp or ftp, use the following commands to copy the file:

copy ftp://username:password@x.x.x.x/directory/filename.bin flash:

or

copy tftp://x.x.x.x/directory/filename.bin flash:

Follow the prompts. If you have only one image in flash, reboot the router and you get the new version. If you have multiple, enter the command "boot system flash:/filename.bin" to make sure it boots the image you want.

Good luck,

Ryan

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The previous post is also very helpful, with a little addition on that if you have an usb port on your cisco router, use a pen drive to your router put the bellow syntax #format usb0:, unplugh the usb drive, put it to your desktop, copy the flash, put it again to your router, then put the command: # copy usb0: flash .bin [file name]

Thanks

Goutam

pls rate if it helps you

This is a great method, but it depends on the version of IOS if you have access to the USB port as a memory location. It's a pretty new feature. Definitely worth a try.

Ryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card