cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there such a thing as an IP address alias?

msorensen54
Level 1
Level 1

I'm resigning the address scheme of my network and wonder if there is a way I can setup a second IP address in the router that will point to the new address of a server. My idea would be to make a virtual address out of the old address so that it will be available throughout the transition whether clients are on the new address scheme or the old address scheme.

4 Replies 4

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Depending on your situation, NAT (network address translation) is a possible solution.

Here's a link describing what is possible:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_white_paper09186a0080091cb9.shtml

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

This is close but not quite what I need. Perhaps I should describe the situation in greater detail.

I want to change the address of my call manager servers to a new VLAN. What I'm trying to figure out how to do is keep the server accessible to telephones that haven't renewed their DHCP leases. Then, as the leases expire and renew I can phase out the old addess entirely.

Most of the MCS and HP servers have dual NICs. One option would be to assign the new address to the secondary NIC and plug that NIC into a switchport configured for the new VLAN. I haven't tested this and I'm sure that it's not a supported configuration, but it may work temporarily. You could configure the NIC and assign a static address to a single phone and point it to the new CCM address to test.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

That may be the ultimate answer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card