cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISSUES: c2950G-24-EI

mrbclark
Level 1
Level 1

Just purchase two WS-C2950G-24-EI switches. Both are labeled to be manufactured in 2004.

Problem I have is one switches blink the SYST LED amber, while STAT is solid green. I'm unable to console into it..

Second switch I seem to be able to console into. What worries me is it will continuously crash. Info here, but seems to be configurable at this point... I've completed a #write erase, reload; since it still had the previous config loaded, but hangs after reload and unable to console in until I power off the unit.... output.

http://pastebin.com/d2e928ceb

s: com4

b: 9600

sb: 1

p: n

fc: n

22 Replies 22

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Think I would try a new version of code on both that is pretty old . Possible the code is corrupted.

Would you mind sifting through this mess of replies and help determine if this is hardware related?

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

First one where you have amber light on SYST LED, means one or more power on self test is failes system malfunction.

Tell the person from whom you have bought this as you cannot do anything. he cannot sell you things that is not working.

But your other switch looks fine. You are at swith USer mode prompt just go to other mode and define Ip etc.

You could have set those things if u have said yes at this prompt

"Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: n "

I donot know why r u saying no everytime and then realoading or erase.

http://purevent.com/demo/c2950EI24/1/untitled.htm

short demo of whats going on the switch i can console to... i'll make another for Y during "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:", but if I select the default "y" it loops and crashes.

For the one it show amber light i think there isno soultion. have you taken from ebay as they give you 7-10 days to check whether it working perfectly. I think you shd talk to them.

You reset the switch 10-15 times just to remove the old vlan info. Vlan info is not in nvram. Even if u erase it 100 times it will show up again.

To remove vlan info either go to vlan database mode and say no vlan(tell the number you want to erase) or erase vlan file in flash.

If you say sh flash: u will see a vlan.dat file i think. If you delete that file all ur old info will go.

Before doing all this i will suggest you to setup a TFTP server and copy image from switch to your PC.

Ok, so I've backed up the IOS to my PC. Attempted to delete the IOS from flash then the system crashed ><

http://pastebin.com/m1282adf0

Now, whats the proper format to upload the image? Please give an example... I'm not good at deciphering this "usage: copy [-b ] "

Do you some some new image or u want to use the image you backed up.

If you are using the same image i doubt anything going to change.

You are at ROMMON mode and u have to transfer the image through your hyperterminal.

this link provide you info to transfer the image back to switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Would work if Vista had hyperterminal... and there is no xmodem for putty.

one of my freind got hyperterminal for vista too google it i think u will get it.

U could have tried to remove other things and see if u can have 2 image on flash this way u could have tried things faster.Instead of deleting the old one.

HyperTerminal is no longer available, as a Free application. If you want to use it you'll need to purchase a license, which I'm not about to do just for this.

The comment of "what should have been done" , frankly the flash would not handle two images, regardless, I asked what items I can remove in the previous post, the old ios was a must as two would not have fit........

Anyhow, I'm not here to argue... if you're going to reply please read my posts and post Relevant information!

This is the response I receive after attempting to xmodem via the XP version of HyperTerminal:

----------------------------------------------

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA1.bin

Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...

CCCCCCCCCCBB0BB0xmodem:: I/O error

switch: boot flash

Loading "flash"...flash: permission denied

Error loading "flash"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.

Boot process failed...

---------------------------------------------

Switched back to putty and this is what I receive:

---------------------------------------------

switch: IP_ADDRESS=172.20.16.100

switch: IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.128

switch: DEFAULT_GATEWAY=172.20.16.1

switch: TFTP_SERVER=172.20.16.101

switch: TFTP_FILE=c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA1.bin

switch: tftpdnld

Unknown cmd: tftpdnld

switch:

switch: tftpdnld:

Unknown cmd:

tftpdnld i have seen for router i think it's not there for switch so will not work.

In your flash i think it is all the old files and even if you lost you will not mind. You can first format the flash and then write though xmodem with ur XP.

At 9600 it will take time to transfer to set the speed to 115200 by command (it depends on terminal some dont take so if it dont come reset again to 9600)

set BAUD 115200

you have to restart ur hyperterminal and select speed 115200 for full process read the link sent you ealier.

Dont forget to set again 9600 if it takes 115200.

Which I've done and stated in my previous post.....

update:

switch: set BAUD 115200

switch: BB0BB0

Unknown cmd: BB0BB0

switch: copy xmodem: flash:

switch: unset BAUD

switch: set BAUD 115200

switch: BB0BB0BB0BB0BB0

Unknown cmd: BB0BB0BB0BB0BB0

switch: set BAUD 57600

Unknown cmd: copy

switch:

All of which reproduce the same I/O Error (No response from remote system).

in drop down menu of send file after selecting the file are you selecting x-modem in protocol drop down menu.

In protocol it has to be xmodem.

if it has problem with different speed just go with 9600 it will take time but better.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco