Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LAN Design Issue

Hi,

We are redesigning our network from scratch. We are hosting our devices at a datacentre which is around 500-700 mtrs away from the HO. There will be a fiber running from the DCR to the HO. Total Users on the network will be around 70-100 and they will be in a windows domain environment. I am planning the following at the DCR:

1. Install a cisco ASA for firewall and VPN services.

2. I will install a Cisco L3 switch. I will be creating 01 vlan for the Servers, 01 vlan for the Data Circuits and 01 vlan for clients at the HO.

Issue: I am not sure what switch should I install at the HO? Currently there is a unmanageable 3com switch at the HO. Also should I have separate subnets for the HO users and the restaurants users or should I put them all on one class B network.

I have attached the network diagram.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards

Sarf

3 REPLIES

Re: LAN Design Issue

I guess it depends on the amount of users that will be physically plugged into the switch. You could get a 4500 series (4503,4506,4507,4510) or a stack of 3750's. Both will provide layer 3 routing and the ability to grow.

I agree with Michael, Put a stack of 3750Gs to satisfy the # of users or a 4500 with modules. Put your SVI on the 3750G/4500 in the HO and make that your default gateway for the Users in the HO otherwise that fiber link will hear a lot of unnecessary broadcast traffic.

Create another vlan for layer 3 connectivity between the HO & DCR and use either a static route or routing protocol.

Layer 2 & 3 switching performance is equal using these switches so adding an extra layer 3 hop versus Layer 2 hop really doesn't matter.

This is what I would do. Easier to scale.

hi

i m agree with Sarf

3750 is good choice for 100-150 user

it comes in three type port dencity

1 3750 with 12 SFP port

2 3750G-24 with 24 10/100/1000 Ethernet &4 SFP

3 3750-48 with 48 Ethernet and 4 SFP

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content