Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN ports are amber after download config using TFTP

Wernerke01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm struggling with download of a config file from a serverlocation to a 3560 switch. I recieved a new switch and configured it manually. Ahtis this succesfull action and tested the config, I uploaded this config using TFTP to a server location. I clreaed the config on this switch ( reset to factory), connected the switch with a LAN port to the network, booted up the switch, connected via console to the switch and downloaded the saved config from server location to the switch using TFTP. All seems to be ok, but when I connect the switch with fiber to the network, Fiber is OK but all LAN ports are AMBER.

speed and duplew set to auto,no shutdown, same problem

anyone some ideas

21 Replies 21

Hi Mark and Werner,

Noticed few things in the config,

1. All the ports are in vlan 2 but no IP address for vlan2

2. fast Ethernet interface 0/48 is in vlan 3

3. load sharing is defined for fast Ethernet port 0/48 and Gig0/1. Fast Ethernet is allowed to pass vlan 1-2. First it is in vlan 3 , second if has to pass vlan 2 to other switch then it should be trunk port not access port

4. gigabit Ethernet 0/1 has priority for vlan 1-3 but only vlan allowed is 1-2, 1002-1005.If it has priority for vlan 3 then why it is blocking vlan 3.

From your config looks like that this switch is connected to other switch which has ports in vlan 1 and 3 as all the ports in this switch are for vlan 2. You have defined load sharing between 2 switches on int f0/48 and gig 0/1. Int f0/48 have to be in trunk mode if it is passing vlan 2 infor to other switch Int f0/48 is allowing vlan 1-2

gig 0/1 is allowing vlan 1-3 but vlan 3 is blocked so this port is also allowing vlan 1-2.

This ismy understanding from yourconfig, could you please how ur network diagram is?

Hi guys,

the file GENNDSEFLO20Manully.txt is the config I put in manually using PUTTY. I connect the switch to the network and all is working fine. Then I upload this config to a server using TFTP, the file GENNDSEFLO20TFTP.txt is the config that's coming out at that moment.

IF you compare both configs the command "no shutdown" is not listed anymore.

For port 48 it was configured this way by A HP engineer as this port has to take over all the traffic when fiber is going down. Port 48 is connected to an other switch also port 48 with the wame config, redundancy. All our floor switches are configered the same way and are connected with fiber to 2 coreswitches.

Hi Werner,

If fa0/48 is connected to another switch, please remove spanning-tree portfast under the interface. If fa0/48 is to takeover when Gigabit interfaces goes down, in the current topology it supposed to be a blocked port in STP. As you have indicated there are no blocked ports.

portfast should only be enabled on ports connected to hosts. In this case, it could create STP loops, which is could possibly be a reason why all switch ports are going amber.

under int fa0/48

no spanning-tree portfast

HTH

Lejoe

Hi Lejoe,

still same problem,

manually installation config no problemdownloading the working config using TFTP, ports still amber but after no shutdown vlan 2 it's working.

seems that the command no shutdown is lost some where

Hi Werner,

If you made the correction and there's probably loop in the topology, you could reboot the device during offhours and see if the problem goes. Please also provide output of the following

show spanning-tree

show vlans

show running-config

HTH

Lejoe

Hi Werner,

Looks like the problem is not with spanning tree.

As i conneceted 2 switch one port was access like ur port 48 and other in trunk mode like ur Gig 0/1port. Defined portfast on port 48.

Though port 48 is port fast when i connect 2 switches the access port turn amber (means its blocking). Trunk port is in forwarding state.

But other ports which are connect to host are fine.

Did u check all ports when they are amber are they in blocking state or something else?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like you configured your switch as a vtp server as such the vlan info is saved in the vlan.dat file which is not part of the config file so any layer 2 vlans you created would not should up in the running config , one of the gotchas of vtp . So when you downloaded the config file it had no layer 2 vlans defined other than vlan 1 which is the default vlan so any port that was in a vlan other than vlan 1 showed amber because it was in a inactive state because there was no layer 2 vlan created for the port definition. If you change the config to vtp transparent mode it will save that info in the running config and you can save it to your tftp server with everything intact. There is nothing special about transferring from a tftp server other than if you are using a unix tftp server then make sure the file permissions are correct . Change your vtp mode to transparent and see what happens .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card