cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LANi support for VLANs

jcowtan
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have a Telco supplied LANi connection between two sites. I would like to add a VLAN to "extend" to the other location. Can I do this without involving the carrier?

We are looking at an application requiring a hearbeat on the same broadcast domain.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Possible, but probably not. Vlans requires some flavor of tagging (i.e. 802.1q) which would not pass through a standard access port.

You may be able to do something with VPNs ... maybe between MS or *nix boxes or other firewall or concentrator boxes.

Check with your vendor about the VLANs, but don't get your hopes up.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

unless you have control over both the edge switches (which you probably do not), your carrier needs to be involved. In order to extend the VLAN, typically 802.1Q or Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling are being used. Have a look at this document:

Configuring 802.1Q and Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c9fdb.html

Regards,

GP

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Possible, but probably not. Vlans requires some flavor of tagging (i.e. 802.1q) which would not pass through a standard access port.

You may be able to do something with VPNs ... maybe between MS or *nix boxes or other firewall or concentrator boxes.

Check with your vendor about the VLANs, but don't get your hopes up.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card