cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LANi support for VLANs

jcowtan
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have a Telco supplied LANi connection between two sites. I would like to add a VLAN to "extend" to the other location. Can I do this without involving the carrier?

We are looking at an application requiring a hearbeat on the same broadcast domain.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Possible, but probably not. Vlans requires some flavor of tagging (i.e. 802.1q) which would not pass through a standard access port.

You may be able to do something with VPNs ... maybe between MS or *nix boxes or other firewall or concentrator boxes.

Check with your vendor about the VLANs, but don't get your hopes up.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

unless you have control over both the edge switches (which you probably do not), your carrier needs to be involved. In order to extend the VLAN, typically 802.1Q or Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling are being used. Have a look at this document:

Configuring 802.1Q and Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c9fdb.html

Regards,

GP

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Possible, but probably not. Vlans requires some flavor of tagging (i.e. 802.1q) which would not pass through a standard access port.

You may be able to do something with VPNs ... maybe between MS or *nix boxes or other firewall or concentrator boxes.

Check with your vendor about the VLANs, but don't get your hopes up.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card