Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

LANi support for VLANs

Currently have a Telco supplied LANi connection between two sites. I would like to add a VLAN to "extend" to the other location. Can I do this without involving the carrier?

We are looking at an application requiring a hearbeat on the same broadcast domain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Re: LANi support for VLANs

Possible, but probably not. Vlans requires some flavor of tagging (i.e. 802.1q) which would not pass through a standard access port.

You may be able to do something with VPNs ... maybe between MS or *nix boxes or other firewall or concentrator boxes.

Check with your vendor about the VLANs, but don't get your hopes up.

Good Luck

Scott

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hello,

unless you have control over both the edge switches (which you probably do not), your carrier needs to be involved. In order to extend the VLAN, typically 802.1Q or Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling are being used. Have a look at this document:

Configuring 802.1Q and Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c9fdb.html

Regards,

GP

Green

Possible, but probably not. Vlans requires some flavor of tagging (i.e. 802.1q) which would not pass through a standard access port.

You may be able to do something with VPNs ... maybe between MS or *nix boxes or other firewall or concentrator boxes.

Check with your vendor about the VLANs, but don't get your hopes up.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies