Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

maintaining clock settings on a 2950 switch?

I have set up external NTP synchronization on a 2950 switch which works fine while the switch is powered on. However if the switch is cycled with a "reload" command, the time established is way off once the switch comes back up. Is this the expected behaviour?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: maintaining clock settings on a 2950 switch?

Hi

This is expected behaviour because the 2950 does not have a hardware clock which can keep the time between reboots. As long as your switch is resynching it's time via NTP it is nothing to worry about.

HTH

Jon

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Hi

This is expected behaviour because the 2950 does not have a hardware clock which can keep the time between reboots. As long as your switch is resynching it's time via NTP it is nothing to worry about.

HTH

Jon

Thanks for confirming! I hadn't found this in the documentation yet.

Super Bronze

BTW:

Also sometimes difficult finding mention whether the hardware supports an on-board calendar. I've found using the ntp update-calendar both often a fast method to help in determining this, and a great way to keep the calendar accurate across reboots/reloads (if you're using NTP).

Views
Helpful
Replies