Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Managed Switch and Non-Managed switch

Hi,everyone, I have a silly question: Cisco 851 has 4 non-managed ports while 871 router has 4 managed ports. What is the diffrent? As I know, the 4 ports on 871 could be assinged to diffrent Vlan and could be configured as Trunk port. Kind of like a L3 switch. So how about 851? I have never used them before.

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Managed Switch and Non-Managed switch

Hi

If you are seeing unmanaged switch ports available in your router then you will be able to connect your pc or hub/switch onto the switch port without any vlan or trunk configs.

Also i feel on one of the 4 ports you can configure an ip address which you can use as a def gateway...

regds

Hi,

The unmanaged switch on a Cisco 800 router is just a L2 switch without any extra features. So you can use it to connect 4 PC's and access the WAN and the gateway address will be the VLAN1 interface on the router which is a virtual switched interface.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

S.

Thank you very much to you guys.

Now, I am clear, 851 you can consider it like a router connected to a Hub, while 871 is like a L3 switch, each port is able to be configured as a l3 port.

Views
Helpful
Replies