cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management vlan across wan links

jllugar
Level 1
Level 1

I have 50 sites. There is one server at each of the 49 sites. The 50th site has the bulk of the servers. My Director wants me to create a 'management' vlan that spans all 50 sites for the integrated lights out port of all the servers. I don't think that it is necessary or wise to creat vlans that span wan links. Any input is welcome!

2 Replies 2

NO, DON'T DO IT.......

Why do people suggest such crazy things? Think of the spanning-tree and broadcast implications - jeez I wouldn't even span a VLAN throughout a Campus LAN, let alone the WAN.

I can understand the need to keep this off the main network but I would just create another VLAN at each remote site to cater for this requirement and then maybe protect it with ACL's if need be.

HTH

Andy

I do not want to do it either. However, it is hard to explain why to someone who isn't experienced in networking. Thanks for your post!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card