cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Router Recommendation

joshwestbrook
Level 1
Level 1

I need a recommendation for a new router for a small library.

We have four wired staff pc's, six wired public pc's, wireless access for the general public, three network printers, and a basic NAS (we only use it for file storage).

We don't have any servers.  Our integrated library system and our email, etc is all in the cloud.  We're moving from a T1 setup to a 50Mbps cable internet connection.

We would need something with vlan capability, a firewall, and wireless.  Currently we have a cisco 871 router without wireless.  I'll take any recommendations at this point!

Thanks,

Josh

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For a 50 Mbps WAN link, a 2921 would be suffice.  If you plan to upgrade your WAN link further, then you need to look at a bigger model.

I wouldn't recommend putting a WAP module into the router.  How many wireless access points (WAP) are you planning to have?

The building is small - currently one WAP covers the whole thing and most of the parking lot.  The basic consumer WAP we have now has covered it all for a few years.  The setup is very basic and we don't connect up to other locations - just a fast internet connection for the users in the building.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Your 50 Mbps cable modem is 50 down and 10 up?

An 890 series router might be a good fit.  Might have everything you want in the one box (which can be both good and bad).

Next step up would be the 1941, although no built-in wireless.

I was quoted 50 Mbps down and 5 up - and I was looking at the 890 series originally.  Based on cost alone I'll take a closer look at the 890 series.  And it sounds like I should get a separate WAP.  There's a centrally located network jack in the building that would be ideal for an access point.

Thanks for the recommendations - just needed some informed opinions to point me in the right direction.

thiland
Level 3
Level 3

Josh,

If you are a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit, you should consider  taking advantage of TechSoup's Cisco donation program.  This is new  equipment offered nearly free for qualified non-profits and libraries.

The  890 router has a maximum throughput of 51Mbps with NO services  enabled.  Since you will be using IOS Firewall, VLANs, ACLs, QoS, and  other features actual throughput will significantly be reduced (perhaps 50% less than the max rated value).  Still, it would be an  upgrade over an 871 which has a maximum raw throughput of 12.8Mbps.

Ideally you could obtain:

• 1941 (153Mbps max throughput)
  • 1141 g/n access point (no controller required).  AIR-AP1141N-A-K9
  • 2960 switch (or any layer-2 VLAN capable switch could do)

Alternately you could make it work with a ASA 5505 + 1141 AP, but I tend to prefer router due to features/capabilities.

Link: http://home.techsoup.org/stock/pages/category.aspx?category=CiscoCategory

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The  890 router has a maximum throughput of 51Mbps with NO services  enabled.  Since you will be using IOS Firewall, VLANs, ACLs, QoS, and  other features actual throughput will significantly be reduced

(perhaps 50% less than the max rated value).  Still, it would be an  upgrade over an 871 which has a maximum raw throughput of 12.8Mbps.

That's true although the 51 Mbps is the rating for minimum size Ethernet packets.  (The other extreme 1,400 Mbps for 1500 byte packets.)

Cisco documents an 890 @ 45 Mbps "NAT + QoS + ACL Performance by Platform, IMIX Traffic at 75-Percent CPU", so an 890 would probably still be okay.  However, if you can obtain even better (faster) router as thiland suggests, and it's within your budget, that's great!

@Joseph W. Doherty, Thank you for the info.

@thiland , Thank you for the info.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card