Views
Helpful
Replies

netgear vs cisco

ayosizzle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to get views and responses as to how and why I can convince a client to switch form Netgear  routers and switches to Cisco. My reasons for the change include

1.Technical support- Very few people in this part of the world have heard of Netgear and even understnad the configs to execute, support if issues arise might be very minimal

2. Deploying an all round cisco environment would mean easily getting a network tool that is supported by cisco and deploy for network management, like Cisco LMS, CNA etc.

3. training the administrators would be easier and faster.

4. Netgear is usually for a small network and not an enterprise network involving WAN connectiivity wt bout 200 branches.

These are a couple of reasons I can come up with can anyone add a couple. Am i being skeptical because I am used to cisco or are my reasons justified.

Regards,

DJ.

3 Replies 3

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

dj sizzle wrote:

Hello,

I would like to get views and responses as to how and why I can convince a client to switch form Netgear  routers and switches to Cisco. My reasons for the change include

1.Technical support- Very few people in this part of the world have heard of Netgear and even understnad the configs to execute, support if issues arise might be very minimal

2. Deploying an all round cisco environment would mean easily getting a network tool that is supported by cisco and deploy for network management, like Cisco LMS, CNA etc.

3. training the administrators would be easier and faster.

4. Netgear is usually for a small network and not an enterprise network involving WAN connectiivity wt bout 200 branches.

These are a couple of reasons I can come up with can anyone add a couple. Am i being skeptical because I am used to cisco or are my reasons justified.

Regards,

DJ.

Netgear devices are intended for SOHO type situations - they generally have lower switching capacities ont he backplane, the management interface stinks (if they're managed at all), and they usually don't have layer 3 capabilities.

Not to mention that owing to the fact that they're essentially consumer grade equiptment they don't have redundant power supplies, and they're not as robust as full on Cisco switches are.

Cheers.

richard.jackson
Level 1
Level 1

Have a look at mean time to failure? How much uptime are theyvexpecting?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Errrr ... is this topic a re-hash of your previous thread?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card